Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Deutschland
We are back from our trip to Germany. We had a great time! Brian's mom and oma were great hosts! The flight on Air India to Frankfurt wasn't too bad and the blanket they gave me this time around didn't smell like old man's drool. Anyway, while there we visited some of Brian's relatives and did a lot of hiking around the Saar and Rhine River Valley in the states Saarland and Rheinland-Pfalz. This region grows some of the best wine and wine I drank almost every night. The trip was way too short and hopefully going back again in December for the Weinachtmarkts (Christmas Markets). :-( Here are a random pics of our travel.

These Shneckes (slugs and snails) are pests to many gardeners in Germany but I found them rather interesting. They were everywhere and they weren't small either. Most were 2 to 3 inches long and came in two colors, black and brown. Aren't they cute?


The Ringwall near Otzenhausen was a celtic fort constructed as early as the 5th and 4th century B.C. as a defense against the Germanic people. We were able to find the site thanks to a friendly German couple in their 80's hiking along the trail!!! They made hiking look so easy! [Source]



Brian keeps telling me that the 3 Magi stayed overnight in this building on their way to Bethleman to visit Jesus. I don't buy it, do you?



This is a picture of Brian's Oma. She is one fast crazy driver! I almost soiled myself while riding in the front passenger seat with her. Luckily I survived. The picture above was taken in an underground tunnel of an old Roman bathhouse in Trier.


Here is a picture of Brian, his mom and I atop an old city wall in Overwesel.


This is the town of Bingen as seen from atop the edge of the Rhine River Valley. You can see the ruins of Ehrenfels Castle as well as the Mauseturm in the middle of the river.


I give the trip two thumbs up! Fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»