Sunday, May 07, 2006

Killdeer
It's that time of year again when the Killdeer start screaming in the back of my yard. That usually means one thing. Their babies have hatched and they are trying to convince some poor fool or animal that its wing is broken. They do this to get the attention of the person or animal that might be getting to close to their babies. These birds might fool others but they sure don't fool me. I heard the parents chirping away today and as these kids from the block looked at the poor Killdeer with the "broken" wing, I started scanning the surrounding area for the chicks. A few seconds later, I saw 4 little ones frozen and crouched low to the ground. These Killdeer parents deserve an Oscar®! They led these kids halfway across the other side of the block. I was able to take some pics of two of the chicks as they walked over towards my back window.

Baby chicks feeding in the backyard.

Close-up of one of the fluffy babys.

Momma Killdeer spots me through the window.

Momma Killdeer runs off with kids.

2 comments:

Renee said...

That ain't no killdeer fool, that looks like a chicken hawk.

Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»