Sunday, June 17, 2007

Cicada Sounds


Brian and I took our bikes out for a spin yesterday. We wanted to go see the Cicadas one last time before they all died. We started heading east along the Great Western Trail towards the heavily infested areas of Lombard and Elmhurst, IL. Once we got to Lombard we were, or least I was, in awe. Surrounding us were hundreds if not thousands of Cicadas singing in the bushes and trees. At the same time there was also this eerie high pitched "hissing" sound in the background coming from the little Cicadas as well. It sounded like a bunch of flying saucers from those old Lost In Space episodes. It was a very surreal experience. Above are two clips I recorded during our bike ride. You can hear the "hissing" sound of thousands of Cicadas in the above left video (Notice the wave of singing Cicadas at second 17 coming into full force). The above right video shows a close up of a few hundred singing Cicadas on a small tree in Elmhurst, IL.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are hundreds starting to die now around the house. Don't hear their singing too much anymore. Wonder when the larva will fall from the tree to dig themselves back into the ground? I also recorded their song.

Anonymous said...

I cant wait for this to be over so I dont have to hear LUI5 talk about it any more. If I may quote one Brian Goldenstank.....Zip it already!!